bianca age, vivi age

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Al Ain Zoo

School was cancelled a couple weeks ago due to a bicycle race.  No joke.  I picked B up from school (they start pre school here at 3 years, everyday from 7:45-12:45) and was informed there would be no school tomorrow due to the bike race going through town at pickup.  

So we picked up and headed out of town ourselves.  I took the girls to Al Ain Zoo.  Al Ain is about 90 minutes away from Dubai.  We drove through beautiful desert highway.  It was just glorious and a great time to reflect.  

Until I saw a camel hit by a truck and sprawled out on the highway with an ambulance checking the driver of the totaled vehicle.  Wild camel fatality.  Someone said, "Oh, kinda like deer in Illinois?"  Not really.  Imagine 10 times the weight, 3 times the height, and the element of seeing the gangly legs sprawled out on the road.  I resumed singing "Jesus Loves Me" with the girls and acted as if I didn't see anything.  Veronica said, "Camel!"  Yes, Vivi.  Camel no more.

But we arrived in one piece and enjoyed a beautiful zoo.  The zoo was practically empty.  The girls LOVED it.

"Mama!!!  Pink!!! Birdies!"







I thought this pic was so cool.  Somehow the reflection made it look like she was actually in the tiger's cage.  Of course, she was not.  


We were so close to the mountains.  



The best part of the entire zoo was feeding the giraffes.  I gave Bianca a choice: either a small gift from the zoo shops, or feed the giraffes (about $8).  She chose the giraffes.  She and Vivi got to feed a mama and baby giraffe carrots.  They LOVED it and it was so sweet.  Of course, I could not take pics of it and to buy the pics they took was another $15.  I politely declined the pics but the memory will be forever in my heart.  

We had a lovely picnic there and enjoyed 70 degree sunshine weather.  The days are numbered where we can go outside and not burn.  Summer is coming.  Until it hits, we will enjoy the beautiful sunshine. We finished our trip on a free train ride throughout the park.  Perfect, beautiful day with my girls.  Just missing daddy. 

2 comments:

Abbey and Jon said...

So fun! What a good mommy ;).

Jenn DIllon Fuller said...

YIKES!! The picture totally FREAKED ME OUT! Looks like fun! You are such a good momma!!