bianca age, vivi age

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Hero

There are people in our lives we call heros.  Our fathers, our mothers, our brothers..... people who overcome or fight the biggest battles life throws at them.

I met one of the biggest heros of my life this year.

SGT Ted Wade went to battle so you and I could have freedom and feel safe and protected in this country we live in.  He is a hero, a soldier, a Purple Heart recipient.  He is a son, a brother, and a husband.  He is a traumatic brain injury survivor.

Yes, Ted Wade went to battle and survived an explosion in Iraq.  He was in love, young, and healthy when he left to defend us.  He came back in a coma, lost a limb, and sustained severe brain deficits.  As a matter of fact, one Iranian doctor refused to give up on Ted.  All the other doctors said there was no chance he would make it.  If it weren't for that one man, Ted would have lost his life.

All for us.  For you and me and our children.

I have only seen Ted on one occasion.  I have only talked to Ted for about 30 seconds.  I had heard a lot about him through my neighbor, Michelle.  Michelle was the neighbor who recently got married in Hilton Head.  You can see my blog about it HERE.  Ted is her brother-in-law.

Sgt Wade was the best man in their wedding.  He is Sam's brother.  It made Sam and everyone in the church so proud to see his brother being able to walk down the aisle on the biggest day of his life.  Can you imagine?  Many people on their wedding day are worried about such minor details.  They go crazy with all the extras.  The biggest blessing they could have asked for was for Ted to be able to walk down that aisle and stand by his brother's side.



I was in tears at that moment.

The time I actually talked to him was later that night.  The reception had ended.  I told Derek, "You are going with me.  We are going to go up to him and thank him for defending us and our country."  Derek said, "Really?"  Yes, really.  Sometimes you gotta step out of your comfort zone.  And that is what we did.  Me and my hormones choked it together.  Derek and I walked up to Ted and I said, "Mr. Wade - I want to thank you for your service to our country and what you have done for us.  You are a hero in our eyes."  He just nodded.  That was it.  I turned away, eyes full of tears.

I felt that was a pretty pathetic "thank you."  Really, Liz?  I mean.... to see someone who is forever handicapped and disabled for YOU and your family and that is all you've got???  I had to do something.

I told Michelle in an e-mail I wanted to do something for Ted.  Just telling him "thank you" was not enough.  Wounded Warriors is a wonderful organization that provides support for veterans who have been injured in combat.  Last year, they participated in a walk/run event here in Georgia to help benefit those in Wounded Warrior.  I was in.

Take a look at Ted and his wife in this Wounded Warrior Video:

So, this year, on August 6th, I am participating in the 2nd annual Run/Walk for Wounded Warriors in Kennesaw, Georgia.  In honor of Ted, I am trying to raise as much money as possible for his cause.  I'm asking for your help.  Ted and his wife, Sarah, are constantly battling the emotional - and financial - stressors of these injuries.  Sarah stays home to take care of Ted.
Here's the LINK to donate to Ted and his wife:
https://www.active.com/donate/woundedwarriors11/SWade20

Please, please consider donating.  Even if you don't know anyone who has gone to battle for our country - you need to be aware and thankful.  This is just a small way we can say "thanks" to those who have given up their "normal, healthy" lives for us.

Thank you.  And more importantly - thank you to all the heros who have defended our country.  You are far stronger and better people than I could ever be.

More places to see info about Ted:
http://www.asha.org/publications/leader/2006/060711/f060711a1.htm

8 comments:

The Cisel's said...

Thank you for your support, Amber!!!

Nick Grogan said...

Amazing and inspirational.

Abbey and Jon said...

Beautiful Post Liz!

The Cisel's said...

Thank you, Abbey! And thank you for your support!!!

The Cisel's said...

To Matt & Wendy.... THANK YOU! A generous donation. Thanks for your support.

The Cisel's said...

Thanks to Nana and Grampy.... so generous! Wish you could see me when daddy runs with me (in the stroller, of course!). Kisses, B

The Cisel's said...

Your name doesn't show... but thank you to my brother, Doug, for his awesome donation!

The Cisel's said...

Uncle Fred and Aunt Mary.... AMAZING and SO SUPPORTIVE! I couldn't ask for better friends. And thanks to your family for their service to our country, as well.