bianca age, vivi age

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Colic???

I had hoped I would never find myself saying, "I have a colicky baby," but I think this may be the unfortunate case. For the last several nights, Derek and I have been beside ourselves with a baby who turns on the "screaming button" at 5pm every night. This is not just a screaming fit, but a several-hour long terrible "joy ride" of high-pitched, inconsolable crying. She calms down around 8pm, but then goes back into her painful screaming around midnight - and it continues until 5:30am. Nothing seems to soothe her besides rocking and gentle rubbing of the belly - and even with that she will not sleep but just stares at you. I feel so bad for her. The way she cries sounds like it is so painful. I was thinking maybe it was just something I ate that irritated her - so I decided to give her milk I had stored from pumping about a week ago. No success. Still cried. At first I thought that she was just being fussy so we let her cry. She cried for 45 minutes at the top of her lungs and I decided that was enough. Her cry seems to be high-pitch, her lower legs are drawn up and her arms are clenched, her face is bright red, and you can put money on the timing. I'm not a pediatric nurse, but I think it sounds like colic? Like I said, this has gone on for about 3-4 nights now. Derek and I are just exhausted. Anybody else have any ideas?

3 comments:

kinze said...

Sounds like Brooklyn! I just switched to soy and she was a perfect angel within 24hours! who knows babies are hard to figure out! Best of luck!

Erin said...

So sorry that you're so exhausted and are hitting a rough patch with little B. Did she stop crying while you were feeding her and for a small amount of time after? Abram did this thing in the evenings called cluster feeding where he would eat say around 7:00 and around 7:15 - 7:30 he would start with the crying. The only thing that would sooth him would be to feed him (not a fun night for mom!) and he wasn't giving me time to refill my supply. Anyway, I figured it out after a while but he was bunching or clustering his feedings one on top of the next and then sleeping for like 6-8 hours. Even when he would wake up he would only feed off 1 side (still full from his clustering). Then I would pump and save that for the evening when he was clustering feedings so I had enought to make him happy. It is something that some kids just do I guess. Keep us posted. Hopefully it is a short phase and she grows out of it soon.

Anonymous said...

Okay, here is what I think having just gone thru this w/Miss Callie (and Erin had it, too!) Reflux!!! Now, the screaming at 5pm is actually a stage she is probably going thru. Per Dr. Mekelburg, Bianca is at the age where she may get VERY fussy from around 5-8pm. The rest sounds like reflux to me. Now, I was told to limit the amount of greens and milk that I was consuming as this just exacerbates the problem of reflux. I first found out Callie was having issues when I had some ice cream - really made her life terrible.

So, as recommended per our peds GI....smaller, more frequent feedings. Don't lay her down after she eats. Instead, let her sit up (like in the car seat) for approximately 30 min after meals. I would most certainly call Dr. Mekelburg's office and get her in to see the MD. We waited with Callie thinking that it was just something that would resolve - it got worse!!!! Erin was on Zantac and Miss Callie is still on Prevacid -it worked wonders!!! Seriously! I feel your pain. Callie would just scream and then she started to scream with feedings. So, I don't think it is Colic. I think it is reflux.
Good Luck, Liz. Call Mekelburg - this problem can be fixed!!!
Hope this helps... Heather