bianca age, vivi age

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friends

I'm typing this and they are downstairs.

It's kinda weird to me to realize....

We have stayed in the same house before. We've lived together before. I remember meeting Amber my freshman year in the dorm. She lived across the hallway from me. I remember thinking, 'yeah, some Chicago girl.... she's not like me.'

Then I saw her at the same house I was at on the final night of rush. I thought, 'what's she doing here?...'

I moved in with her, across the hall, several weeks later once her roommate moved out. I lived with her again the next year. And my senior year. We were inseparable.

And then came Melinda. I met her my freshman year, but didn't really get to know her until we lived together sophomore year in the sorority house. Her room in the house was HOT. I mean.... inferno. I remember stopping by to see her and it was burning up. But golly - her closet was on fire, too - Mel had the best clothes and accessories to borrow. I lived with her again senior year.

What do I remember about these people? Amber: nice. People voted her to be President of our sorority her junior year but she declined (so she could live in an apartment with me and Mel). Everyone loved her. She was liked by all. Fun, driven, responsible. Melinda: dependable. She would be by your side no matter what. You could count on her to meet you anywhere, anytime. Got your back - no matter WHAT the circumstance

Time becomes blurrier after a while. You forget things. You forget how things went, or how the story really was told. But I do remember weekends. I remember football games. I remember lake house times. I remember laying on the couches and watching movies all afternoon. I remember pizzas and beer. I remember laughing and crying. I remember dancing and running. I remember parties and studying. But most of all.... I remember us.

I have stories that go on forever. It started the first day of college with Amber living across the hall. Continue through Mel visiting me in Wisconsin, both of them attending my brother's wedding, me going back to college again, being there when I dealt with losing family members, boyfriends and breakups, meeting the loves of our lives (yes, Mel, I take credit for Craig, still), and now - having babies.

It hasn't been a pretty road. We've had breakups, ourselves.

But now, I look at us. I look at Amber holding my baby. I look at Mel carrying her baby. I am at peace.

I am in love. With friends.

They say if you go through life and meet 1 good friend .... you are blessed.

My friends..... I am blessed (x 2).

(circa 2004)

(i am SOOOO mad. i took my camera out with us, but the memory card was not in it. i couldn't be more upset with myself. but i have pictures in my memory from this weekend)

Thanks, girls. The visit was awesome. Let's not wait another 3 years to do that again.

1 comment:

Crystal Schaub said...

I'm so glad you girls were able to get together again. There's nothing better than "old friends".