bianca age, vivi age

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowed In

Well, this is a first for me in Atlanta. Snowed In. Yep, stuck at home. The snowfall today was the most snow Atlanta has seen in decades - combined! It is for sure the most peculiar weather I have seen in a long time. We got almost 5 inches where I live - unheard of here. 5 inches was really nothing back in Illinois. But here - there are hardly any snow plows, no salt, and very minimal resources to get rid of this white stuff. The snow itself is also different. The first inch (on the top) is slippery and .... crisp...??? Let me put it this way - when you step onto the snow, it feels like you might not break through the top but then it gives like a stale cookie and you sink down to the ground. Underneath is the "normal" powdery stuff I'm used to.

I couldn't wait to get Bianca out in the snow. Growing up in the Midwest, some of my fondest memories are of the snowy weather. I remember getting all bundled up in snow pants and going out to sled or be pulled by my brothers on the 4-wheeler. We'd come in after hours of playing to warm coco and a warm fire. My fingers would thaw and tingle... I just loved it.

So, when I took B out to play in it today, I expected nothing less. Well, no pond to ice skate on and no 4-wheeler to ride. Heck, I didn't even have snow pants for the little girl. I mean... it's not supposed to snow in Atlanta. But I did the best I could. I put her in a onesie, warm & snuggly footsie pjs, lined jeans, a sweater, a coat, hat, boots, socks, and gloves. While layering her, she kept crying, "HOT. Mama HOT. HOT HOT HOT!!!" It was so cute. I just wanted to make sure she was warm enough.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
But just because I was so enthused about this baby/snow meeting, doesn't mean Bianca was. She hated it. The snow scared her to death. It was SO LOUD when you walked through it, she was crying because she was scared. Then, to try to get her to touch it was a nightmare. I had to "break through" that hard outer layer to get to the soft stuff.... and she really wasn't into it. She preferred to just sit and "chill" in her wagon.
Photobucket

Photobucket

My neighbors and I build a snowman while Bianca supervised the situation.
Photobucket
Tonight Auburn is playing for the Championship, so we went with the orange/blue theme.
Photobucket

I'm just glad B's car is front-wheel drive so she didn't get stuck.
Photobucket

And nothing goes better on a cold day than a peanut butter sandwich, her new fave.
Photobucket

The girls came over after snowman building because NOBODY could go to work in this snow mess. We had to have some hot chocolate to get over all the snow. Oh yeah.... and some wine.
Photobucket

Photobucket

DID I TELL YOU THE NEWS???

I got a new best friend!!!!!!
Photobucket
I just love the vintage look and the pistachio green color. It's amazing. I can't believe it took me this long to find it. Thanks so much, Mel, for your help!
It's heaven. I made some "garbage cookies" for the girls. They weren't really garbage - but I "dumped" a bunch of ingredients I had lingering into the batter. Random recipe I made up today including banana pudding, chocolate and butterscotch morsels, whole wheat flour, and a little butter. They were Yummy.... if I do say so myself.

And a few more looks at the snow-filled day. Which will turn into a snow-filled week because it's not supposed to warm up until Saturday. I really don't know what I'll do if we're not able to get out tomorrow. But the roads are just sheets of ice, and it's inches deep.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

Abbey said...

Loved your post, loved the comment about B's four wheel drive vehicle, loved that you have friends to gather with when Derek is away. You guys have a very nice life in Atlanta...but we sure miss you up here...and we have to get B a little more fond of that "white" stuff anyways....hurry back :)

The Cisel's said...

I know! She's just a little Southern Belle!

Krystal84 said...

cute pictures! Nathan is down there in Cartersville now-i'll have to give you his number. I wish Logan was like Bianca in the snow, instead my kid would rather play in the snow than outside. He screamed today when we had to come inside!

kinze said...

miss B may not have the correct snow attire ... but she's got uggs!